Freddie Lennon

One of the more intriguing cases. John Lennon's dad Alfred "Freddie" Lennon had been long estranged from his son when he recorded That's My Life (My Love and My Home) in 1965. More a recital with music than an actual song, Freddie relates an autobiographical tale about his life as a merchant seaman. Incredibly, the song shares a chord structure and stately tone with John's Imagine, recorded some six years later.

The title of Freddie's song may have been a play on John's In My Life, which had just been released on the Beatles Rubber Soul album.

John patched up his relationship with Freddie not long after That's My Life was released and Freddie moved into John's home for a period of time.

John was certainly aware of his father's record. Some of John's biographers say he tried to suppress That's My Life by urging radio stations not to play it. It's not as though That's My Life was destined for the top of the charts anyway! There is also a story that John used to play That's My Life for friends as a laugh.

Freddie went on to remarry and father two sons. After another long period of estrangement he spoke to John shortly before his death in 1976.

Here's Freddie with That's My Life and the 45 B-side The Next Time You Feel Important. Listen closely to the opening chords of That's My Life and note the similarities with John's Imagine.


More on Freddie's very colorful life at the Lennon Family site.


0 comments:

Find It